Your take on the Japan minpaku (aka AirBnB) situation

JTF_Chris

Administrator
Aug 6, 2018
JapanTravelForum.com
So the last time we/I went was back in 2016, and for a month (2 weeks with the family) we exclusively used AirBnB for lodging. Most of these were excellent experiences. The sole outlier was a pad on the east side of the Sumida river near Skytree that I don't think was exactly legal. They ranged from a sweet 13th story huge condo overlooking Enoshima, to a noisy flat in Uguisudani, to pretty basic rooms in Shibuya, Osaka, Shinjuku, and Kawaguchiko.

The bottom line is we NEVER would have been able to afford that trip if we had to rent proper hotel rooms for us all. Especially given some of those locations. Yeah we had to sort our own trash and clean up after ourselves but that's part of the game.

I imagine that pad by skytree is probably not available any more. I'm pretty sure I got yelled at by the front desk guy while leaving one morning. I just put my head down and barreled out of there. The "you should keep quiet and not talk to anyone" in the listing was probably a red flag.

I really haven't taken the time to explore the airbnb listings recently. Has it dried up? become more sterile? in the hands of a few operators only?

Now that the govt has brought the hammer down on the whole thing, what do you think about it?